Non-internet based reports
(1) Rev. Leon Dupree, a district superintendent and pastor of Lily of the Valley Church of God in Christ in Rochester, NY, is charged with first degree sexual assault of a 26 year old woman. Rome NY Daily Sentinel 5.28.88
(2) The janitor of the Bethel Church of God in Christ in Kansas City, KS is in jail on charges of sex crimes. Police said 47-year-old Clarence Garrison is facing four felonies of indecent liberties with a child. They said Garrison took advantage of children at his home and inside the church.
(3) Ruben Thankful Thompson of Real People COGIC, Waverly, Florida was arrested for five counts of incest of his daughter. Some church members said there had been rumors for some time but many disbelieved and dismissed the allegations. The Voice Newspaper Richmond VA. 12.29.07
(4) Isaac Goodwater, former pastor at the Emmanuel COGIC in Taftville, CT was arrested in 2003 and charged in connection with the alleged assault of two girls. Goodwater reached an agreement with state prosecutors and pleaded no contest to two counts of coercion. He received a suspended sentence and two years of conditional release in 2005.
(5) Rev. William Bosley of Kenosha, Wisconsin, was sentenced to 55 years in prison for sexually abusing a six year old girl in his church while her blind mother was cleaning the building. Bosley founded the Sunrise Church of God in Christ, Waukegan, Illinois, in 1969. He also pleaded guilty to sexually abusing the child's 12 year old sister in the home of their grandmother. The sentencing took into account Bosley's recent conviction for firing a gun into a car. He had served a 28-month sentence for sexual abuse of an 11 year old girl in Washington state 20 years before. Sentencing Judge Walter Block stated: "He took his position, duty and responsibility and used it to facilitate his criminal
behavior." Assistant state attorney Victoria Rossetti, of Lake County, stated: "These people trusted him. He helped them, but he continuously violated these young girls." (Source: Chicago Tribune, 10/22/87)
Robert Nixon, pastor at the “Risen Valley Mission Church of God in Christ” on West Harrison, a West Side church, Chicago, was accused of sexually assaulting two 14-year-old boys and a 16-year-old girl, and charged with two counts of criminal sexual assault and one count of predatory criminal sexual assault, 13 September 2004. He admitted to repeatedly sexually assaulting the two 14-year-old boys from 2000 to the present. .W. v. Barlow et. al., 02 L 8851 (Cook County) 2007
C.W. was 12 years old when she was sexually assaulted by a church official at a church convention held in Baton Rouge, LA. The church official was affiliated with the Church of God in Christ Fifth Jurisdiction, who had received prior complaints of inappropriate sexual misconduct with young girls in regards to church official Barlow. Defendant Church of God in Christ, Inc. was the national affiliated church who did not hire, fire, employ, or control the church official at issue. Result: $1,500,000.00